Friday 18 January 2013

Homemade Nutella


My son loves Nutella... well, who doesn't? We decided to make our own after I was inspired by the recipe found on this blog.

We had 3 main goals - It had to be nutritious, it had to be smooth and it had to be chocolatey! It is all of those things and more.

It passed our family's taste test and also my mom's. She thought it would be great to keep in the fridge to enjoy a spoonful when a chocolate craving hit!




The Recipe

1/2 cup raw hazelnuts
1 tbs coconut oil
1 tbs real vanilla extract
2 tbs dark cocoa powder
3 tbs real maple syrup


The Method


 Heat oven to 350 F and roast raw hazelnuts for 10 minutes. Let cool.

Watch the clock or set a timer. Nuts roast very quickly and even continue cooking after being removed from the oven. Under roasting is better than over roasting. (I speak from experience after over roasting peanuts for peanut butter. The flavour was overpowering.)


Rub the hazelnuts in your palms and the skins will fall right off. Little M calls this "taking off their jackets" which I think is quite cute!


Gather ingredients.

I used real vanilla extract because the artificial vanilla is quite toxic. (Further info about toxicity.)

The cocoa I used is called ruddy red cocoa and it's a beautiful dark colour that's so rich in flavour. You can get it at the Bulk Barn.

Melt coconut oil for easier blending.

Put the roasted hazelnuts and rest of ingredients into blender. A high-speed blender is best to get a smooth result. I used a Vitamix. I stopped a few times to scrap down the mixture and be sure that it was getting blended thoroughly.


This nutella is so fresh and bursting with flavour.


Little M wanted some on toast immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment